ISET is now accepting online applications for admission to the MA Program in Economics in the 2013-2014 academic year. The deadline for application for admission in 2013-2014 academic year is 1pm, May 1, 2013, Tbilisi time.
All students accepted into the program will be invited to study free during the first mini-term. Outstanding applicants are eligible for Future Leader’s Scholarships, which cover the full cost of tuition and provide living stipends of up to $500 per month. All successful students are offered partial scholarships and stipends, and access to subsidized student loans. International students and Georgian students from outside Tbilisi receive free housing. Interested graduates are offered assistance with placement in top PhD programs in the US and Western Europe.
ISET strives to attract the best students from around the world and selects them on the basis of merit and in the spirit of open competition. Admission to the program is open to anyone holding an undergraduate diploma from an accredited institution of higher education. Generous financial aid is available for students from the South Caucasus.
ISET is offering short courses in Baku, Yerevan, and Tbilisi to help students prepare for the entrance examinations in Math. A fee of USD 50 per course will be charged for participation in this course; however, it will be reimbursed to those students admitted to the MA program. The course aims to introduce students to the structure of the exam and to provide practice with the types of exercises which may be included on the exam. The prep courses in all three countries will take place in April 2013.
To participate, applicants have to submit their application to the MA program by mid-March 2013 and pay the course fee. Payment instructions will be provided to interested candidates by email.
Admissions process and procedures
The admission process consists of three main stages: (1) online submission of an application package, (2) admission exams, and (3) interview. Additionally, Georgian citizens are required to pass the Georgian National Master's Exams in order to enroll at ISET.
(1) Online submission of a full application package:
Applications are to be submitted online as follows:
- Complete an application form
- Upload a statement of purpose - a one or two-page essay explaining your motivation to study economics and how a master's degree in economics is related to your career goals and intellectual interests (in PDF format).
- Upload any diplomas and transcripts from previously attended educational programs. The original documents should be scanned and attached in PDF format.
(2) Admissions exams in English and Mathematics
Exams will be held simultaneously in Baku, Tbilisi, and Yerevan. Applicants from outside the South Caucasus region who find it difficult to travel to one of the three testing centers may submit GRE General and Math Subject scores in lieu of the ISET admissions exams.
- The English exam assesses reading comprehension. Students will have the opportunity to demonstrate their listening comprehension and speaking skills during the interviews which will be conducted during the week following the exams. There is no writing section of the exam. All questions will be in multiple choice format similar to that of the reading comprehension sections of the TOEFL exam, which can be found online at http://www.ets.org/.
- The Mathematics exam assesses basic mathematical knowledge, thinking, and problem-solving skills. It covers topics from basic algebra, basic mathematics of finance and basic calculus (see the topics). The exam consists of two separate parts. Part 1 is similar to the quantitative section of GRE General Test. It tests your basic mathematical abilities. Part 2 is similar to GRE Mathematics Subject test. It tests your specific mathematical knowledge. (More information about these tests, as well as practice questions, can be found at http://www.ets.org/).
ISET Admission Exam Papers 2012Math 1 (129.23 KBytes)
ISET Admission Exam Papers 2011
ISET Admission Exam Papers 2010
ISET Admission Exam Papers 2009
Following the admissions exams, some candidates will be invited for an interview with the ISET Selection Committee. During the interviews, applicants should show maturity and serious motivation to study economics, demonstrate the ability to independently analyze economic processes, taking place in their countries and express themselves in English.
If you have questions related to admissions please contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.